Virtual museum of Canada
Collections from Storage: A Visit to our Hidden Treasures

Musée du Séminaire de Sherbrooke

The origins of the museum go back to 1879, the year in which the institution made its first acquisitions.

View of the display cases on two mezzanines overlooking the main floor at the Musée du Séminaire de Sherbrooke. Cervidae heads decorate the railings.

Séminaire de Sherbrooke, around 1950
Photograph: Studio Frégeau et Frères
© Musée de la nature et des sciences de Sherbrooke

In its earliest days, it was under the direction of Abbé Pierre Girard, then Abbé Pierre-Achille Bégin. The Museum grew rapidly between 1900 and 1969 under the direction of Canon Léon Marcotte. He gave a large part of his life to building the museum and left a heritage of tens of thousands of collection objects and specimens.

The Museum closed its doors after the death of the Canon in 1969. In 1973, Monsigneur Georges Cloutier re-opened the Museum by creating the Corporation du Musée du Séminaire de Sherbrooke. In 2002, this new entity took its place in a new building where today the Musée de la nature et des sciences de Sherbrooke is located.

This page uses the Flash navigation
View with Flash